2023 New Teaching Artist Application
The Pennsylvania Council on the Arts (PCA) has an Arts in Education (AIE) division that provides funding support for arts-based educational programs throughout the Commonwealth. The purpose of the AIE division is to champion the arts as a tool for both personal and community development for all Pennsylvanians by supporting quality programs in schools and community settings. Erie Arts & Culture has a formal agreement with the PCA and we serve as the regional AIE partner for the counties of Erie, Crawford, Mercer, Venango, Warren, and Lawrence.
As a regional partner, Erie Arts & Culture is expected to manage and grow a diverse roster of qualified teaching artists; representing a variety of arts disciplines. The artists that comprise our roster are eligible to participate in PCA-funded AIE residencies. Artists become rostered through a five-step process.
- Step One: Interested artists must complete and return a teaching artist application.
- Step Two: Erie Arts & Culture reviews the application material
- Step Three: Applicants who meet the qualification criteria are then interviewed by an independent panel.
- Step Four: If recommended, applicants will complete a 5-week training where they will refine their skills and abilities to lead a residency in both a school and community-based setting.
- Step Five: Those who are successful in their training are recommended to the PCA.
Once rostered, Erie Arts & Culture provides teaching artists with access to professional development designed to equip teaching artists with the skills and knowledge necessary to implement successful residencies.
The deadline to apply to be a teaching artist is May 31, 2023. Panel interviews occur in June and new teaching artist orientation and training is held in July and August.
- Individual artists, artists' ensembles, or companies may apply.
- Artists, ensembles, or companies that intend to work in multiple disciplines must demonstrate their qualifications and be approved to work in each discipline.
- Preference is given to Pennsylvania residents, although outstanding artists from other states may apply.
- 18 years of age or older
Please direct any questions about the application process, or the Teaching Artist program more broadly, to firstname.lastname@example.org.